This is Jake's Story...

Jake is a 20-year-old twin who has been diagnosed with stage 4 Rhabdomyosarcoma, a very rare form of cancer. Going through a vigorous daily radiation treatment and weekly Chemo treatments make him extremely tired, weak and sometimes nauseous.

Jake is otherwise a normal teenage kid. He likes playing computer games, paintball, swimming and golfing. He loves hanging out with his four brothers, 4 wheeling, camping, and ruining his mom's laundry baskets while making home videos. He hopes to someday become a computer programmer.

This blog was started to keep his family and friends updated on his status.

Addendum: Jake became cured of cancer, free of pain and everything this world brings on September 29, 2010. He continues his journey in Heaven. He is doing awesome! Hope you're doing the same!

His family thanks you for your generosity in donations, love and service. God has shown us many tender mercies!
Thanks for being one of them!





Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sigh!

Jake spiked a 103 fever again last night.  Again, he wouldn't go to the hospital.  I even had another doctor talk to him and tell him this could be a life-threatening infection...to no avail.  He looked at me and said, sorry mom....the invincible teenager thing.

I spent my first summer away from home on the University of Utah campus.  This beautiful fountain is located just east of the library and was a place of solace and fun for me.  What is obstructed by the tree is the thin, 4 inch straight piece of cement that goes from one set of stairs to the other.  So often I would climb these stairs barefoot and walk across the top, often stopping and doing some moves I learned in gymnastics in the middle (Did I mention that the part I was walking on was only 4 inches wide!).  Below is a mere 1-2 feet of water, then concrete.  Invincible was I!

Did I ever fall and hurt myself?  No.  Did wisdom come with age?  Sometimes. 

One husband and 5 boys later, I visited that fountain and looked again, at the width across the top.  I found myself gasping and wondering how I could be so brave and carefree.  Perhaps it was faith I had...more faith than sense.

Should I question Jake's faith?  Although it makes no sense to me not to follow the doctor's orders, I have to rely on my faith, and Jake's, my mother's intuition and the guidance of the holy spirit to get us through this.  I have faith that the Spirit will tell me when to override Jake's stubbornness.  God knows Jake, even better than Jake does, so I depend on Him to tell me what to do...whatever is best for Jake.  I pray that Jake knows when to give in to God.

My prayers are not what you might think for Jake.  I pray for whatever is best for Jake...then the strength to accept whatever that might be.  He warned me that this would be hard...and it is.  But, He also said I would like the outcome...whatever it is...it will be the best for Jake (I keep reminding myself!).

Be still my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment