This is Jake's Story...

Jake is a 20-year-old twin who has been diagnosed with stage 4 Rhabdomyosarcoma, a very rare form of cancer. Going through a vigorous daily radiation treatment and weekly Chemo treatments make him extremely tired, weak and sometimes nauseous.

Jake is otherwise a normal teenage kid. He likes playing computer games, paintball, swimming and golfing. He loves hanging out with his four brothers, 4 wheeling, camping, and ruining his mom's laundry baskets while making home videos. He hopes to someday become a computer programmer.

This blog was started to keep his family and friends updated on his status.

Addendum: Jake became cured of cancer, free of pain and everything this world brings on September 29, 2010. He continues his journey in Heaven. He is doing awesome! Hope you're doing the same!

His family thanks you for your generosity in donations, love and service. God has shown us many tender mercies!
Thanks for being one of them!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010


I like this pic because everyone keeps telling me this!

Well, that wasn't as traumatic as I thought it would be!    We have learned that the pet name for Rhabdomyosarcoma is Rhabdo (sounds like a weird dog name!)  So that is what we will refer to it as from here on out.

Our Oncologist, Dr. Jennifer Wright, came in special, just to see Jake (apparently she doesn't come in on Wednesday).  The bad news is, there are still more tests to be run!  More waiting!  Our favorite!  She has to determine how far along the cancer is and if it has spread to other parts of the body.  If it has spread, that is very bad!  If it is only in the groin area where they found it, there is an excellent chance of recovery/cure.

Until they finish running all the tests, they won't know what kind of drugs to use in the chemo therapy.  The good news is they know what to test for and they should know everything by Friday!

I asked if it would be possible for us to go on our Sweet Family Camp Out, or if they needed to start treatment right away.  Dr. Wright said she saw no problem with waiting until we got back, unless she made some drastic discoveries on Friday.  Jake said he really wanted to go, so at this point, we are planning to go.

Friday they will be doing a bone scan and chest CT to make sure the cancer has not spread there.  They will be looking at the lungs and the bones.

Monday, the 12th, we are expecting to get a central line put in near his clavicle and his first Chemo treatment.  He will have to stay overnight at the hospital, but should be able to come home the next day.

We asked lots of other questions, but they can't be answered until Friday.  If it is a good outcome, the chemo will last about 30 weeks off and on.

I'm feeling very hopeful and much, much better than yesterday.  Jake and the rest of the family are keeping their good attitudes.  Still lots of swelling, but not feeling sick.

A big hug of gratitude for my angels today!  We appreciate all you are doing for us!

Love you guys!

p.s.  When we got to the PCMC, they were having this fabulous BBQ out on the patio!  The smell of smoking steak saturated the air, teasing the taste buds!  As we were waiting for Dave to come out of the parking garage, I looked longingly at the fresh fruit and yummy spread and thought sadly of that pb&j I grabbed as we were scampering out of the house so we wouldn't be late.  So sad to learn that if we had arrived a bit earlier, Rick A. would have hooked us up with some delectable eats!  Not surprised that he was the one responsible for that savory smell!  They only do the BBQ on Wednesday so I think we are going to have to schedule an appointment for that day some time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment