This is Jake's Story...

Jake is a 20-year-old twin who has been diagnosed with stage 4 Rhabdomyosarcoma, a very rare form of cancer. Going through a vigorous daily radiation treatment and weekly Chemo treatments make him extremely tired, weak and sometimes nauseous.

Jake is otherwise a normal teenage kid. He likes playing computer games, paintball, swimming and golfing. He loves hanging out with his four brothers, 4 wheeling, camping, and ruining his mom's laundry baskets while making home videos. He hopes to someday become a computer programmer.

This blog was started to keep his family and friends updated on his status.

Addendum: Jake became cured of cancer, free of pain and everything this world brings on September 29, 2010. He continues his journey in Heaven. He is doing awesome! Hope you're doing the same!

His family thanks you for your generosity in donations, love and service. God has shown us many tender mercies!
Thanks for being one of them!

Saturday, July 24, 2010

The lost hair...

Hair, but falling out by the hands full.

The end result!
I told Jake it was ok to get 4 tattoos today!  These are the marks they put on him so they can position him exactly the same every time he gets radiation therapy (John said they were his permanent dot-to-dot.). 

Jake's counts were still good today, so he still doesn't have to have his shots.  We started out at the Huntsman Cancer Center and they took a CT scan of Jake's middle.  Next Wednesday they will do a "dry run" of the radiation therapy, then it actually starts Thursday, Monday through Friday for about 28 days (5 1/2 weeks).  We should be done with radiation around 9/13.

Chemo went well today.  Just a little tired...a lot tired.  They warned us that the radiation would make him even more tired.  I know it made me tired!  (weird side note:  I have been getting sympathy symptoms for Jake.  After his chemo I started feeling a little nauseous on the way home).  

Next week we should go in mid-morning and check into the hospital for the next chemo treatment.  He stays overnight and should be released around 10:30 a.m., then we go up to Huntsman to get the test run of radiation.  They said that the radiation definitely makes him nauseous so we are really looking forward to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment